Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sectionals produces some shocks and one foregone conclusion.

Well, I was disappointed to see that Sectionals did not produce the 4.5 finals matchup of Reader and Dibua. To me that would have been a true meeting of the 2 best tournament 5.0s in the state. Instead we get Scott Sevin. Congrats to Scott on making a surprise run to the finals. I don't know what else to say as I don't know if it was great tennis on the part of Scott that got him there or what. I can't imagine he would have won 3 games off of Reader let alone the match but that doesn't matter when Reader no shows. Then again if Corey Noel can take a set off of Reader, we should all have reason for optimism, no offense to Corey. Dibua did the job I thought he would do in his half, bringing his lifetime 4.5 record in tournaments to something like 90-2. Its good that you were able to find your appropriate level a few years ago and settle into an extended run of beating up on lesser players. That said, you still deserve congrats on the win...even if there was never any doubt.

Congrats also to Hunckler for toughing out some long matches. You have really stepped up your game this year and deserve to be the top dog in 5.0...regardless of what guys say over on the league blog (bunch of ringers).

4.0 Shocker was the presence of Kris Knutson in the finals. I would never have thought it possible but you did it and deserve congrats. Congrats again to Eddie Janek for adding to what has been a great year...outshadowed only by Jason Kern, who in this case did not make it to the tourney to keep his domination going.

Doubles....I haven't seen the results yet so I cannot comment. Please help with recap/comments on doubles if you can. It would be appreciated.

Will be interesting to see how the Master's Cup lineups stack up now that sectionals is complete. I am sure there were one or two changes in who makes it but I will wait til rankings are updated as I am too lazy to make the calculations. If you know who is in or out at each level, feel free to share it here so that I don't have to figure it out.

There will be several small tournaments here in Houston over the coming weeks with Fallfest being the most meaningful (deadline for entry is Sept. 21 in case you are interested) but the real focus for the next month will be on how the masters cup looks to shape up in each level so I am sure we will focus a lot on that.

Congrats again to the Houston players who showed well in San Antonio and my condolences to those Houston players that disappointed (Reggie Black, Daniel Kallus, Arya Majed, Joe Schornick to name a few), there is always 2008.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hunkler played really well and deserves the overall win. Houston will have some quality players in the Masters Cup in November.

Open Sean Stranly, Jegede Brothers

5.0 Hunckler and Herb Morton. Note Reggie Black lost first round in Sectionals and lost all of his defending points so no Masters Cup for him

4.5 Dibua, Moser, Schmucker

4.0 Janek, Leiker, Ansari, Patton

Side Notes

Arya Majed why do you play Open when you should be playing 4.5 or 5.0? When is the last time you ever won and Major Zone or for that matter get through to the second round without losing? Swallow you're pride and play at a lower level.

Reggie Black was a surprised appearance to defend his points. Reggie you need to play 4.5 because you are not a 5.0 player. Look at your record for 5.0 this year. Of course you blew off consolation which caused you to miss the Masters Cup.

Reader the Great! What happened to you in Sectionals? You were beaten down by Corey Noel. You were so tired and fatigued from that match you pussed out against Scott Sevin and withdrew from the match. Guess you ran out of pot.

Trautmann my shoulder is bothering me so I have to withdraw against Regmund. Come on Trautmann we all know you make excuses and there is an ongoing fued between you, Reader and Regmund. See Reggie Black for advice.

Kern what hapened to you as well? Riding high in the Men's 4.0 division and you pull a Reggie Black no-show. The most feared 4.0 player in the state and you don't even show up.

Abshire my elbow is killing me, but I am going to play my match against Hunkler then retire when I am about to lose. I love this strategy employed by Abshire. One day perhaps you will stop pushing the ball so much. Did you know pushing causes tennis elbow?

Anonymous said...

Hunckler/Leija beat Reader/Regmund must to everyones surprise.

Anonymous said...

Actually, it wasn't much of a surprise that Hunckler/Leija beat Reader/Regmund if you had seen the way Reader/Regmund were dragging. All credit to Hunckler/Leija who played just as much (if not more) singles than Reader/Regmund on Saturday but conditioning - or lack thereof - was without a doubt the deciding factor in that match.

Anonymous said...

Well i guess it just goes to show you conditioning plays a huge role in summer tennis. Especially, if you play multiple divisions. Not a good excuse!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Not making any excuses for Regmund/Reader, just stating an observation. Hunckler/Leija turned right around and lost to Giordanelli/Giordanelli who are no Regmund/Reader but were certainly better rested.

Anonymous said...

Houston players won the mens singles titles in 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 and 5.0. Not Bad!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I read the Austin league site's interview with Sectionals winning captain Mike Davis. The guy must have taken interview tips from Craig Biggo cause it was all bland, boiler-plate cliched comments. That said it was a noble attempt and it might be interesting if Journeyman or someone else did something similar with some of Houston's more colorful tournament players as it could be good for a laugh or two.

Anonymous said...

An interview with Tim green about league would be some great comedy.

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with Sectionals but I just checked out the Dallas league blog site and they pretty much copied the template of this site down to the T's. Same colors and everything. Being that I hate anything to do with Dallas, that is unfortunate to see. Fortunately, I am sure the content on this blog is far better than whatever boring crap they care to talk about. Are there even any good players from Dallas (Dallas specifically, not Fort Worth)? I can't think of any that seem to be relevant in tournaments throughout the year. Anyway, Journeyman I am sorry that your blog is being tarnished by Dallas lacking the originality to at least pick a different layout at Blogspot.com. Dallas sucks, I'm out!

Cary Bazan aka Lucky Thunder said...

wow I love the smack talk about the blog I created. I actually liked your site and did give you credit on my opening post. Dallas doesn't have any talent. My 3.5 team played Jason's team the closest at 3.5, at 4.0 he faced Dallas in the finals and Wild Dallas would have been in the semis if not for a crazy DQ of Tor Erickson. At 4.5 Rusty Branch's team has been contending for awhile. Ft. Worth, puhleeese. Talk about lack of talent. I believe there just happen to be less quality tourneys close to Dallas and therefore in lieu of driving 4 hours to play in a tournament we opt to play league instead. I feel our levels stack up just fine when our city's players match up.

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy,
This is Arya Majed. Relative to your comment to "swallow your pride and play lower level", in the last 3 years, I have made it to 3 Open Major Zone quarter finals and 1 semifinal. Also, I have won an Open tournament and made it to the finals of at least a couple if I recall. In '07, I played only a few tournament but had some good matches including a 3-setter with Farzad Hediari and a point away from a 4-1 lead in the first set against Jegede in 2nd round of sectionals; finals against Femi, ...

Now, lets talk about you. First, why this anger? Why are you disrespecting everyone? We are all just playing for fun, exercise, friendship, travel, ...

Also, next time, it would be nice if you would identify yourself and offer criticism constructively instead of insulting/disrespecting people.

Also, at a minimum, have